Citywide African American Artists Exhibition is open to all artists of the African diaspora in the greater Houston area and is sponsored by the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, through 5A (the African American Art Advisory Association at the MFAH) and the University Museum at Texas Southern University. Citywide Exhibition offers artists the opportunity to show their work to a broader public and to the collecting community. This year celebrates the 25th anniversary of the Citywide African American Artists Exhibition and will be hosted at different venues and spaces across the city including the University Museum at Texas Southern University, the Glassell School of Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, and others to be announced.
• Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
• Participation is open to all visual artists of the African diaspora living in the greater Houston area.
• Only original works of art will be accepted, no copies.
• Work in all media will be accepted. Limit two works per artist.
• Work is to be recent work (within the last 2 years).
• All entries must be ready for installation (wires, hooks, etc.). Drawings and photographs must be framed.
• Framed works can be no larger than 6ft. x 4 ft. and weigh more than 30 lbs.
• Sculptures can be no larger than 2 ft. x 2 ft.and weigh more than 30 lbs.
Prizes for Artists
• Juror’s Choice: Scholarship for one studio art class at the MFAH Glassell School of Art.
• 1st prize: $500
• 2nd prize: $250
• 3rd prize: $150
• 5A Favorite: Membership to 5A (the African American Art Advisory Association) at the MFAH and gift certificate for art supplies at Texas Art Supply.
A completed entry form must accompany the original, actual work. Slides, images, and incomplete works will not be accepted. Work must be in suitable condition for exhibition, i.e., artworks executed in dry media (graphite,charcoal, or pastel) must be sprayed with a fixative or behind glass; all paint must be completely dry. All work is to be ready for museum display. Artists may submit up to two works of art. There is no entry fee.
Please refer to the calendar for submission dates.
Due to the limited exhibition space, approximately 60 works of art will be accepted into Citywide African American Artist Exhibition 2022. Accepted works will be chosen based on criteria of quality and creativity to be determined by the Juror.
Announcement of selected works and pickup of works not selected will happen on Wednesday, June 8–Friday, through
June 10, 2022 at the University Museum. Please do not call the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, or the University Museum at Texas Southern University. No information will be available by telephone or email.
While every care will be exercised in the handling of all works submitted, the MFAH and the University Museum at TSU cannot assume liability for any loss or damage to artwork during submission, selection, installation or exhibition processes.
The University Museum at Texas Southern University and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, will not be
responsible for work left beyond the collection dates.
Drop off entry form and art work at The University Museum at Texas Southern University on Monday, May 30 through Wednesday, June 1, 2022, between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Texas Southern University
Fairchild Building, South Wing
3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, Texas 77004
Thursday, June 2 through Sunday, June 5, 2022 | Juror Selection
Tuesday, June 7, 2022 | Artists Notified
Wednesday, June 8 through Friday, June 10, 2022 | Works picked up in the Art Building at Texas Southern University.
Friday, June 17, 2022 | Exhibition opening at the University Museum.